Railway Resumption Plan Scone 1868
Featured Image: Railway Resumption Plan Scone 1868 for Scone
The railway eventually arrived in Scone in 1871 and was opened by the then Governor of NSW the Earl of Belmore. The railway actually ‘bisected’ the 230 acres of land purchased by Mathew Barber Miller from William Dumaresq in 1856. This must have caused him some consternation although he was on the organising committee. He even celebrated the arrival of the railway by naming his house ‘Belmore House’ (now ‘Geraldton’) in honour of the visit by the Governor. Similarly the surrounds were known as Belmore Estate and Belmore Heights. The single story Railway Hotel constructed by Mathew Miller was renamed the Belmore Hotel which title it retains to this day.
The dismay and trepidation aroused in 1868 – 1971 must be similar to those sentiments experienced as we approach the construction of the Scone Bypass in 2018!