Warialda Jockey Club
Included with the Private Catalogue of owner Mr J R Smith at the Tucka Tucka Stud Dispersal Sale, Yetman, Macintyre River, NSW; March 1st, 1899 I find a very detailed, laborious and extensive (6 generations) hand-written pedigree of ‘Maltese Cross’ by ‘Oxford’ ex ‘Valetta’. On the reverse side is the field for ‘The Fourteen Hands Handicap (14.0)’; possibly at Warialda Jockey Club? Perhaps someone might recognise it? Underneath there is also a hand-written note: J. R. Smith esq., C/- Tattersall’s Club.
Featured Image: The field for ‘The Fourteen Hands Handicap (14.0)’
The prizemoney on offer was 25 sovereigns; roughly $52:50!
Mr W E Geddes Honorary Secretary
Top of Form
When Mr. Geddes first identified himself with racing at Warialda small Meetings were hold on holidays only. He, however, soon succeeded in forming a club; and great, progress was made. The annual gatherings are now most successful, and attract sporting men from considerable distances. The prize money paid over at each meeting is about £400. In 1882 the club instituted a Sires’ Produce Stakes, the only one in the north. The race is yearly increasing in popularity; and bids fair to assume large dimensions in the near future. Mr. Geddes acts as one of the handicappers for the club; and his services are often secured by neighboring racing bodies. As a horse owner, he has met with fair success on the turf; and a win by any representative of the navy and cardinal colours is always popular.
In 1880 the club presented Mr. Geddes with a handsome silver cup; and after the annual meeting last year a few of his admirers made up a subscription; and handed to him a splendid and costly epergne and address as a tribute to his worth. A few years ago he was appointed a magistrate; but he declined the proffered honor. Besides racing, he takes an active part in all matters for the advancement of the town and district, being a good worker in connection with athletic sports, cricket, hospital, School of Arts etc. as well as being chairman of the Public School Board.
The Warialda racecourse is situated one mile and a half from the town, and is seventy-nine chains round, one chain wide, except the straight, which is three chains. By large expenditure and constant attention the running ground, is in excellent condition, and it is said to be the fastest mile and a half course in the colony. A useful stand, from which a first-class view can be obtained all the way round, has been erected; and, as the funds are in a satisfactory state, and the motto of the committee is “Excelsior” other improvements will follow in due course.